Do you love color like me? Do you choose to use more color in your home because it feels happy? Or do you prefer to surround yourself with neutrals? Either way, these fun facts about color have something for everyone. And my posts, HOW TO CHOOSE A COLOR PALETTE FOR YOUR LIVING ROOM, HOW TO CHOOSE A COLOR PALETTE FOR YOUR LIVING ROOM, and HOW TO BRIGHTEN YOUR NEUTRAL HOME WITH COLOR have design tips on how to choose color for your home.
Using color in your home can be scary. My clients say that they use neutrals in their home because they are afraid to choose the wrong color. Neutrals feel like the safer option. Yet more and more, I get requests for adding color to their homes. This is the reason that my most popular interior design service is the Paint Color Consultation.
The second most popular is my Materials Selection Service which includes paint, flooring, tile etc. for the home inside and out. If you chose neutrals for your home because you think you might choose the wrong color, think about working with me. I can help you figure out exactly which colors will work best for you and your home.
10 Fun Facts About Color
In the meantime, here are 20 interesting and fun facts about color:
- Colors affect your depth perception – warm and light colors appear closer and cool and darker colors appear to be farther away.
2. Men and women see the color red differently. Women see the differences in hue and men tend to only see red. The reason for this is tied to the X chromosome. Women have two and men have one.
3. Wearing bright colors will help you make a better impression in a job interview. But please, choose only one.
4. The most common favorite color in the world is – blue.
5. There is a color called “mummy brown.” It was made from ground up mummified remains.
6. Color affects your mood. What that mood is, depends on the color.
7. Red makes you hungry and green suppresses hunger.
8. In some cultures, blue and green are considered to be the same color.
9. Color exists in our brains.
10. They say that silver colored cars are in less accidents because the color can be seen most clearly at all times of the day or at twilight.
10 More Fun Color Facts
11. The color wheel was invented by Sir Isaac Newton.
12. Scientists say that black is the absence of all color and white is a mixture of all colors. Painters disagree and say the opposite is true.
13. Owls are the only birds that can see blue.
14. Before the 1950’s, Santa was shown wearing a green suit. Coca-Cola changed it to red in their advertising.
15. Yellow is the most difficult color for our eyes to process.
16. Only nobility could wear orange during the Elizabethan period in England.
17. Medical suture thread is dyed indigo because white thread looks like nerves and this color keeps doctors from cutting the wrong thing.
18. The “Forbidden City” in Beijing is actually the “Purple Forbidden City”. This is a reference to a hidden purple area in heaven.
19. Most people will only buy a large appliance for their home if it comes in the color they want.
20. The red pigment in fall leaves serves almost the same function as sunscreen on human skin.
Adding color to your home will brighten your space and add interest. After a bad day, coming home to a house full of color will lift your spirits. I highly encourage the use of color in your home.
Many people want a beautifully furnished home, but don’t have time to figure out every small detail. Christina Rodriguez of Diva by Design guides you through the process of creating a personalized and pulled together space. Then you can relax stress-free in your fully finished home or office. Let us take care of the details so you don’t have to!
CLICK HERE to contact Diva by Design. We’ll talk about your new color palette or design project.
©Diva by Design 2020. All rights Reserved.