Does it feel like you’ve had the same paint color on your walls forever? You’re tired of looking at it and you want to update without having to change everything in the room. Have you collected an envelope full of beautifully colored paint swatches from the store and you carry it around everywhere you go but still can’t make a choice?
The paint store doesn’t make it easy. They display almost every color imaginable and it looks pretty, but there’s so many to choose from! Going back and forth to the store is creating more confusion because the tiny swatches make it hard to tell whether the color will match or even look good once you get it on the walls. It’s overwhelming, the choices seem endless, and all you truly want is that one color that will make your home feel fresh and new. You’re busy, you’re tired, and you still haven’t painted a wall.
Things to consider before choosing paint colors:
- The lighting in the store is different from your home so the colors won’t look the same. Choose the colors at home in the actual space where it will be used.
- The sheen you choose can make the color look lighter or darker because of the way the light bounces off the walls.
- Natural sunlight gives the best ideas of the true color on the swatch.
- The color of the light bulbs you use will also affect the way the color looks.
- What’s already in the room (fabrics, flooring, furniture, etc.) will help decide the color that you choose.
- How do you want to feel when you spend time in your space?
You now have two choices:
- Decide on a color and buy a few different test samples to try in your room. In this case, it’s best to paint on poster board or card stock instead of the wall so you won’t have patches. You can see the color at different times of day and during different weather. You can tell which one looks best with your current fabrics, furniture, and fixed elements in the room. Pick your favorite, and…
Now you have a new paint color for
your room that makes it feel fresh and up to date!
2. Book a paint consultation with an interior designer. You’ll have the paint samples brought straight to your house so you can skip the store entirely. We typically have swatches from more than one paint manufacturer so you can choose your favorite brand or use the one your painter likes best. You will see only the colors that will go with the permanent elements in your space so that feeling of overwhelm is gone.
You’ll see larger swatches than what you get from the store. Plus, we can provide larger swatches on request so you can put them up on the wall without having to buy the small cans of paint to test. A designer may show you colors that you may never have thought to try that look great and change the whole look and feel of your room.
Nothing is better than choosing colors in comfort of your own home. The confidence you have that the color is right for the room is priceless. Being able to sit and relax in your updated home might be the only thing better.
Or, you can have patchwork walls and pay extra for the time it takes preparing your walls for new paint. The multiple trips to the store to choose a color from tiny swatches aren’t fun. And painting again and again because the one you chose looks entirely different on the walls than it did on the chip is not the best use of your time.
Many people want a beautifully furnished home, but don’t have time to figure out every small detail. Christina Rodriguez of Diva by Design guides you through the process of creating a perfectly planned, personalized, and pulled together space. This way you can relax stress-free in your fully finished home or office. Let us take care of the details so you don’t have to!
CLICK HERE to contact Diva by Design to talk about your new interior design or decorating project.